FOURTH SESSION 1994 – 1995
Human & Future Studies
- Born in Kuwait in 1942
- Obtained a D. in Social Sciences from Durham University, UK, in 1973.
- Editor of Al Arabi Magazine from 1982 to 1999.
- Launched and edited “Sawt Al Kuwait Al Dawli” during and after the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait (1990-1992).
- Founder and Editor of “Dirasat Al Khaleej Wal Jazeera Al Arabiyya” magazine, that was published in Kuwait from 1974-1978.
- Assistant Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Education, Kuwait University (1976-1978).
- Worked as an Assistant Professor, and later as a Professor at the Department of Sociology, Kuwait University (1975-1982).
- Professor of Sociology at Kuwait University (1973-1975).
- Head of the Sociology and Social Services Department, Faculty of Arts and Education- Kuwait University (1975-1977).
- Social Supervisor at the Faculty of Law and the Faculty of Commerce and Political Science- Kuwait University, Adiliyya (1967-1968).
- Social Supervisor at the Ministry of Education (Kuwait), Al Daeiyya Secondary School (1966-1967).
- Member of temporary and permanent committees such as the Higher Studies Council, Kuwait University (1980-1982).
- Member of the permanent Higher Council for University Promotions and Appointments (1980-1982).
- Member of the Editorial Board of “Aalam Al Ma’rifa” (World of Knowledge) series- issued by the Higher Council of Culture and Arts-since its inception in
- Member of the Editorial Board of “Al Nift Wal Ta’awun Al Arabi” (Arab Oil & Cooperation) magazine.
- Member of the Advisory Committee of “Dirasat Arabiyya” (Arabic Studies) magazine, published by the Arab League,
- Member of the Arab Development Forum, Jordan (1981-1990).
- Member of the Editorial Board of “Al Ta’awon” (Cooperation) magazine issued by the General Secretariat of GCC, Riyad (1986).
- Member of the Joint Committee on the Demographic situation in Kuwait.
- Member of the Jury Committee of Abdul Hamid Shoman Award, Jordan, (1987).
- Member of the Supervisory Committee of the Scientific Encyclopedia, overseen by the Arab League Educational, Cultural and Scientific Organization (ALECSO), Tunisia (1987).
- Member of the the Higher Board of Education, Kuwait (1986-1987).
- Member of Board of the Sociological Association, Kuwait since 1982.
- Member of the Kuwaiti Journalists Association since 1974.
- Member of the National Council for Culture, Arts and Letters (NCCAL), Kuwait, (for a period of 3 years from 1993).
- Member of the Editorial Board of “Al Tarbiya” Magazine published by the Public Relations and Educational Media Department of the Ministry of Education,
Decision of the General Secretariat :
Dr. Al Rumaihi enriched the Arab library with a colorful array of of critical works and other writings. His pioneering works and studies on the Arabian Gulf have become an important reference for researchers. Dr. Al Rumaihi continues to supply the Arab library with his innovative writings, tackling contemporary issues from an enlightened perspective through his monthly articles in Al Arabi Magazine, which contributed, since its inception, to support promote knowledge and enlightenment in the Arab world.
Famous Works :
- “Al Bitroul Wal Taghayyur Al Ijtima’I” (Oil And Social Change).
- “Al Kuwait Qabl Al Bitroul” (Kuwait before the Discovery of Oil).
- “Ma’oqat Al Tanmiya Al Iqtisadiyya Wal Ijtima’iyya Fi Buldan Al Khaleej Al Arabi” (Obstacles Hindering Economic & Social Development in Arabian Gulf States).
- “Al Ma’oqat Al Ijtima’iyya Lil Dimoqratiyya Fil Khaleej” (Social Deterrents to Democracy in the Gulf).
- “Al Nift Wal Ilaqat Al Dawliyya” (Oil and International Relations).
- “Al Bahrain Wa Mushkilat Al Taghayur Al Siyasi Wal Ijtima’I” (Bahrain and Issues of Political and Social Change).
- “Al Khaleej Laysa Niftan” (The Gulf is Not Only Oil)
- “Al Kuwait: Al Umran Wal Tanmiya” (Kuwait: Construction and Development).
- “Ahadeeth Arabiyya” (Arabic Discourses), 3 volumes.
- “Al Kuwait: Kalimat Min Zaman Al Nakba” (Kuwait, Words from the Crisis Era).
- “Asda’ Harb Al Kuwait” (Echoes Of Kuwait’s War).
- “Al Mujtama’ Wal Siyasa Fil Jazeera Al Arabiyya” (Society & Politics in the Arabian Peninsula).
She passed away on December 12, 2003.