The Sultan Bin Ali Al Owais Cultural Award is presented every two years to a group of outstanding Arab writers and intellectuals for their poetry, stories, novels, play, criticism and literary studies, and futuristic and humanitarian studies. The only condition is that their work must reflect Arab thought, portray the aspirations of Arab people and influence scholarly, literary and cultural life. The Award can be presented to nominee for one or more outstanding works, which have had deep impact on Arab cultural life.
The Award shall be presented to nominees depending on their creativity regardless of their ideology, religion, colour, or gender.
The Award shall be independent and free from any interference or pressure whatsoever.
Objectives of the Award
The Sultan Bin Ali Al Owais Cultural Awards aims at honouring, encouraging and supporting Arab scholars, litterateurs and intellectuals so they can play their role in cultural, intellectual and scientific development in the Arab Homeland.
Categories of the Award
The Award is given to one poet and may be shared between two poets.
2. Story, Novel and Play
The Award is given to a winner in one of the three genres and may be shared between two winners from one or two genres.
3. Criticism and Literary Studies
The Award is given to a winner in criticism or literary studies and may be shared between two winners from one or two genres.
4. Futuristic and Humanitarian studies.
The Award is given to a winner in futuristic or humanitarian studies and may be shared between two winners from one or two genres.
5. The Award for Scientific and Cultural Achievement
The Award is presented every two years to:
- Individual Arab litterateurs, intellectuals, writers, artists, scientists who have served Arabic culture and have a significant impact on the development of literature, criticism, intellectualism, philosophy, humanities, economics, applied and theoretical sciences, medicine, and arts.
- Arab cultural and scientific organisations such as universities, institutes, colleges and research centres which have significantly contributed to the development of literature, arts and sciences in the Arab Homeland.
- Winners of the Award cannot nominate the other categories of the Sultan Bin Ali Al Owais Cultural Award; The Award is given once only to the winners.